Surprise Video!

Courageous Boy Receives World’s First Double Hand Transplant _ NBC Nightly News

2015-07-31 690 Dailymotion

An 8-year-old boy made his public debut Tuesday as the youngest patient to receive a double-hand transplant, his surgeons said.

Zion Harvey, who lost his hands and feet after contracting sepsis as a toddler, was all smiles during his introduction to the media at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, his new hands visible from outside heavily bandaged forearms.

“I want to say to you guys, thank you for helping me through this bumpy road,” a visibly cheery Zion told family and hospital staff at the news conference.

The complicated procedure was carried out earlier this month, but was not disclosed publicly until Tuesday. A 40-member team of physicians, nurses, and surgeons participated in the 10-hour operation.

Zion, who received prosthetics for his feet and is able to walk, run, and jump, will now spend a few weeks in rehab before heading home near Baltimore, according to the hospital.